Neighbourhood Watch & Derbyshire Constabulary have provided the following advice on How To Keep Youngsters Safe Online
With many children currently being taught at home, youngsters may well be spending much more time on the internet, whether using tablets, smartphones or laptops.
We want to help children stay safe and are encouraging adults to think about what youngsters may be accessing online.
The most effective ways to keep a child safe are to:
- Show interest in their life
- Model responsible social media use yourself
- Keep talking to them about what is going on online and what they like to access
- Ensure you have your child’s passwords and PINs for devices and apps
- Disable all in-app payment options, which are often well hidden
- Listen if they seem down or concerned about anything they have seen or experienced online
- Report any serious concerns
You can check out an app before your child downloads it at: www.net-aware.org.uk/
This allows you to see the risks and to get independent reviews from both parents and children.
The website www.internetmatters.org gives information on how to set up parental controls as well as a guide on how to monitor apps.
If you want to report any concerns, visit the CEOP website www.ceop.police.uk/safety-centre
Information provided by: